1.10.2011

I'm Still Here

im-still-here-20100817-090648

Oh Joaquin. I am not simply a lover of movies but also of pop culture as a whole, so when Joaquin Phoenix's first "rap" performance appeared via cellphone camera online...well, I laughed hard and shook my head. Around the same time word was spreading that Casey Affleck was filming a documentary about Phoenix's foray into the rap world. (Another one of my favorite posters this year)



I hoped it was real and not all an act. Especially when this happened around the 2:50 mark...



Im Still Here follows Phoenix as he decides to abandon acting and make a rap album with Sean Diddy Combs as his producer. Unfortunately his spiral into a music career, drugs and what seems like losing his sanity all turned out to be an act and I was thoroughly disappointed. Not that I would wish anyone to go a little crazy but it would have been a lot more fun watching a train wreck than an act, that being said Phoenix did do a good job in what could be called a character piece as he and Affleck explore the notion of celebrity, consumer and what effects they can have on the celebrity themselves. There are some funny moments and some sad, and definitely some that make you roll your eyes in a "are they serious?" fashion. I could have lived my life without seeing this movie but I'm not screaming to have that time back either.

Im Still Here
Released 2010
Directed By Casey Affleck

No comments:

Post a Comment